Town of Bay de Verde
PO Box 10 | 71-75 Route 70
Bay de Verde, Newfoundland & Labrador
Telephone: (709) 587-2260
Email: info@baydeverde.com
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Search Website
  • 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • 12.jpg
  • 13.jpg
  • 14.jpg


Home > Tourism > Attractions

Attractions


The Bay de Verde Heritage Premises
The unique architecture and style of the Blundon House.
 The Baccalieu Island Exhibit.
 More than 800 artefacts.
 Replicas of a Traditional fishing stage, Cod trap, Baccalieu Island Lighthouse, Longliner, and others, all locally made and donated.
 A Research Room with information and photos of War Veterans, transcribed Cemetery Records, Church Baptismal and Marriage Records, Family trees and much more.
 Boardwalk from the house to the waterfront with murals along the way. Another boardwalk to the top level of Blundon's Point with The Spring Well along the way.
 The Blundon Family Cemetery.
 A traditional two-story store-loft containing approximately one hundred artefacts related to the fishery
 A Fish Store and Flake.
 A traditional Root Cellar.
 A Heritage Park.
 The Lazy Rock Hiking Trail begins at the Heritage Premises.



Local Scenery in Bay de Verde
The town of Bay de Verde is located in Conception Bay, Newfoundland & Labrador near the extreme end of the Bay de Verde Peninsula - or what is known today as 'The Baccalieu Trail'.. Experience all that this incredible region has to offer. Iceberg & whale watching, incredible food & folk, festivals - all amongst mystical rugged ocean coastline and vast wilderness of pristine valleys & lake-dotted mountains.

Our once-isolated community was originally settled by planters, colonists who were trying to avoid French raiders in the 1600's. This rugged area is a mere 70 kilometres from St. John's by sea.

For the energetic visitor to the Heritage House, you can take the Spring Boardwalk to the top of the cliff, turn right at Springhill Road, then turn left on Harbour Hill Road and on to Ladderpoint Road where you can take a very scenic four kilometre walking trail to 'Lazy Rock' which overlooks the surrounding seascape and beautiful Conception Bay.



Baccalieu Island Exhibit
The Baccalieu Island Exhibit was officially opened as part of the Bay de Verde Heritage House on July 5, 1999. The exhibit was funded by the Newfoundland & Labrador Department of Tourism. It portrays the many and varied aspects of Baccalieu and is truly worth seeing.

Baccalieu Island is located three kilometers off the tip of the Bay de Verde peninsula. Listed on maps since the 16th century, it has played a very important role in navigation.

A lighthouse was built on the north end of the island in 1858 and acts as a beacon for ships making trans-Atlantic crossings as well as playing a key role in the local sea traffic. Another light and fog horn was placed on the south end of the island in 1904 serving as a guide for local sea traffic through Baccalieu Tickle.

The Ryans operated the lighthouse on the north end for almost one hundred years. Other families lived for a time on the island including the Walshs from Bay de Verde and the Rices from Red Head Cove.

Many fishermen from the north and south shores of the Bay de Verde Peninsula also made Baccalieu their home during the summer fishing season. Shipwrecks have been a common occurrence at Baccalieu Island with more than 200 lives lost in more than 20 documented wrecks.

Families living on the island played key roles in saving the lives of countless others.

A Baccalieu Interpretation Centre was officially opened as part of the Bay de Verde Heritage House on July 5, 1999. The exhibit was funded by the Department of Tourism. It portrays the many and varied aspects of Baccalieu and is truly worth seeing.



Bay de Verde | Fishing Community
The cod fishery was the back-bone of the economy of Bay de Verde since the first European settlers came here. This fishery was prosecuted in small boats within rowing distance around the Bay de Verde headland as well as the fishing grounds around Baccalieu Island. Fishermen used the traditional hand-line and to a lesser extent nets and seines. Then in the 1860's came the invention of the codtrap. In 1880 Edward Moore introduced the first codtrap to Bay de Verde. It was set in an area called The Sands in the middle of Backside by Jeremiah Woodrow and John Broaders and became an immediate success. The codtrap was the main fishing technology right up to the closure of the cod fishery in 1992.

A new type of boat had already been introduced at Bay de Verde since the early 1960's and as a result a new method of fishery emerged. This was the long-liner, a much larger boat of lengths which varied from 38 to 65 feet that could go farther off-shore. These boats fished various species using gill-nets and bottom trawl and catch rates sky-rocketed for many years. In the traditional fishery, fishermen had always waited for the fish to come to shore but now with the larger boats they could go to the off-shore fishing grounds where the fish congregated. As a result, the traditional near-shore fishery which waited for the cod to come to shore was practically decimated.

The late 1960's saw the emergence of another fishery in this area. This was the “snow crab” fishery which since the demise of the cod has proven to be the savior of rural communities in Newfoundland. At first, crab was strictly a long-liner fishery but since the “cod moratorium” the small inshore boats have also claimed their share and today “the under 35 foot fleet” is fishing for crab near-shore in the bays.

The long-liner fishery today has also expanded to include trawling for shrimp which has also become abundant in the waters around Newfoundland. The crab and shrimp fisheries are today the major fisheries in Bay de Verde as they are in most of Newfoundland.

Since the inauguration of the Harbour Authority, millions of dollars have been spent on improvements to the waterfront. A new, much longer wharf has recently been constructed to replace the old wharf that had been there since the early 1950’s. Another new wharf adjacent to the launchway serves as an entrance way to the many floating wharves where small boats are moored. The north side of the harbour has seen a complete facelift with the construction of a new breakwater and a new dock extending all along Blundon’s Point. With the expansion of the processing plant by Quinlan Brothers and all the recent construction, the Bay de Verde waterfront has taken on a whole new look.



Baccalieu Island Ecological Reserve
Baccalieu Island is the largest protected seabird island in Newfoundland and Labrador. During the summer, it has more types of breeding seabirds than any other seabird colony in the province.

During the breeding season (April 1 to October 30), access to the seabird nesting areas is restricted to scientific researchers and people with valid access permits. Other parts of the island may be visited at any time without a permit. (Access to view the seabirds can be done only by boat.) Boat landings at Ned Walsh's Cove and London Cove can be dangerous and should only be attempted by experienced boaters. The island is visible from shore, across Baccalieu Tickle, and from Red Head Cove. At the Bay de Verde Heritage House, interpretive exhibits explain the natural and cultural history of Baccalieu Island and the region.

More than three million pairs of Leach's Storm Petrel (the largest colony in the world) makes their nests at Baccalieu Island. It is a site of one of only six colonies of Northern Gannet and one of only three nesting sites for the Northern Fulmar.

The Atlantic Puffin as well as the Common Murre are found in abundance here. Baccalieu is also the most southerly limit for the Thick-billed Murre and Razorbill.

Along with these species can be found the Black Guillemot, the Black-Legged Kittywake, the Herring Gull and the Great Black-Backed Gull. Baccalieu Island also has one of the largest winter populations of Eider Ducks in Newfoundland. [Read More About Baccalieu Island]





Historic Anglican Church
According to Don Barter in his book 'Surviving on the Headland', construction of the first Church of England church in Bay de Verde began in 1821. However, when Oliver Rouse arrived in August of 1847, it was in such poor condition that he immediately set about putting the wheels in motion to begin building a new church. The second St. Barnabas Church was located some distance to the east of the old one in the general area of where the Anglican Church is today on Church Hill. It was completed in 1856 and consecrated by Bishop Field on November 25, 1857.

In 1886, construction began on the third St. Barnabas Church under the tenure of Reverend William How. It was located just to the east of the old existing church on a piece of land purchased from Edward Cotter. Although some wages were paid, most of the work on the church was done free labor by the parishioners. Reverend How left in 1890 and the task of completing the new church was left to his successor Reverend Frank Smart. The new St. Barnabas Church was consecrated by Bishop Jones on May 12, 1891.



Historic Roman Catholic Church
The first church built by the Roman Catholics in Bay de Verde was constructed about 1810 under the tenure of Father Thomas Ewer who was parish priest at Harbour Grace. It was located north of the present day church in the Old Chapel Rock Cemetery.

In 1896 construction began on the present church under the tenure of Father Joseph V. Donnelly who had become parish priest in 1883 just three years after Bay de Verde had become a parish. The new church was built just to the south of the old church on land donated by James Noonan. Because of the unique architecture of Father Donnelly’s church plans, three master carpenters were hired for its construction. They were James O’Neill and John Brady from Bay de Verde and Thomas Hogan from Northern Bay.

Parishioners also gave freely of their labor when needed. The new Church of the Assumption was ready for use in 1897 and was officially consecrated by Bishop McDonald in 1903.


Click any link below for more information related to Tourism:

Accommodations
Hiking Trail
Photo Gallery
Bay de Verde Guest Book
Provincial Tourism

Visit the Heritage Premises

Bay de Verde | A Town with a Rich History

The Bay de Verde Heritage House was built in 1896 by Mr. John Blundon and family of Bay de Verde. The structure of the house is a good example of Merchant Class Victorian housing. The house was donated by Mrs. Dorothy Blundon and family to the Town of Bay de Verde on September 16, 1996 (exactly 100 years after it was constructed). It is now preserved and used as a Heritage House.

Explore our history • Walk the boardwalks & hiking trail to Lazy Rock • Have a chat with our interpreters • We offer free WI-FI

Blundon House | Events | Baccalieu Exhibit | Heritage Days

Phone: (709) 587-2766   |   Email: heritage@baydeverde.com

Winner of 2010 MANNING AWARD recognizing excellence of historic places.

Town of Bay de Verde
Tel: (709) 587-2260
Fax: (709) 587-2049
PO Box 10 | 71-75 Route 70
Newfoundland & Labrador A0A 1E0
Email: info@baydeverde.com
"A Town with a View"
Settled 1662 | Incorporated 1950


Website created by Glacier Cove Web Design
© Copyright 2017 Town of Bay de Verde
Website Administration   |   Newsletter Unsubscribe