Town of Bay de Verde
PO Box 10 | 71-75 Route 70
Bay de Verde, Newfoundland & Labrador
Telephone: (709) 587-2260
Email: info@baydeverde.com
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Search Website
  • 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg
  • 11.jpg


Home > Heritage Premises > History Of The House

History Of The House


The Bay de Verde Heritage House was built in 1896 by Mr. John Blundon and family of Bay de Verde. Mr. Blundon was a local merchant who owned schooners and traded along the coast. The house was built to accommodate his lifestyle.

The structure of the house is a good example of Merchant Class Victorian housing built on a gable-ell plan with a five sided front porch and fine interior and exterior detailing. It was built in two sections. The main section with its larger rooms, higher ceilings and more elaborate staircase was occupied by the Blundon family. The servants quarters with its smaller rooms, lower ceilings and smaller staircase was occupied by both male and female servants, shipped men, sharemen and sailors. The servant girl's bedroom is still intact.

The house was donated by Mrs. Dorothy Blundon and family to the Town of Bay de Verde on September 16, 1996 (exactly 100 years after it was constructed). It is now preserved and used as a Heritage House.


Click any link below for more information related to the Heritage Premises:

Events Calendar
Baccalieu Exhibit
Heritage Guest Book
Photo Gallery | Heritage Premises
Mission Statement
Awards
Donations
Geneology
War Veterans
Town of Bay de Verde
Tel: (709) 587-2260
Fax: (709) 587-2049
PO Box 10 | 71-75 Route 70
Newfoundland & Labrador A0A 1E0
Email: info@baydeverde.com
"A Town with a View"
Settled 1662 | Incorporated 1950


Website created by Glacier Cove Web Design
© Copyright 2017 Town of Bay de Verde
Website Administration   |   Newsletter Unsubscribe